History

Founded in 1967, the Montgomery Potters is a clay club located in Montgomery County, Maryland. We are a diverse group of clay enthusiasts, and our membership consists of ceramic artists and potters with varying levels of experience and skill. We have members from parts of Virginia, Maryland and the District of Columbia who focus on all types of ceramic art and surface decoration techniques from wheel thrown functional ware fired in a wood kiln to decorative sculptures fired in oxidation.

Since its inception, the Montgomery Potters have striven to build a community that brings clay artists together, shares knowledge and ideas, and fosters the spirit of friendship and creativity. Clay is the thread that ties our community together, and we support all processes and techniques for giving life to our chosen medium.

Mission

Montgomery Potters endeavors to:
  • Bring together those interested in ceramics
  • Increase skills of interested potters
  • Exchange ideas on all aspects of ceramics
  • Stimulate community interest in ceramics
  • Sponsor periodic ceramic exhibits and sales

The Montgomery Potters meets on the fourth Monday of each month, between the months of September to May. Our meetings begin at 7:30pm and are held at the Lynbrook Center, 8001 Lynbrook Drive, Bethesda, MD 20814. We hold three sales for members work each year, and provide opportunities for members to participate in special firing events, attend workshops, and enter juried shows.

The following is a brief timeline of the founding of the Montgomery Potters.

1952               

The forerunner of the Montgomery Potters was the Clay Pigeons, founded by students in an adult education class at Kensington Junior High School. Their stated purpose was to exchange information and to increase community interest in the ceramic arts.

1954               

The group joined with eight area craft groups to form the Creative Craft Council. The First Clay Pigeons show was held at Homewood Recreational Center.

1967               

The name of the group was changed to the Montgomery Potters.

1970               

The first show and sale was held at Garrett Park Town Hall.

1976               

The new constitution was adopted and the first Spring sale was held on New Hampshire Avenue.

1984               

The Montgomery Potters library was begun and is housed by the current librarian.

1986               

The first judged, all-member show was exhibited at Glen Echo.